Friday, July 08, 2005

Is this mike on?

It's been awhile since my last post and I've watched the traffic to my blog consequently dwindle but I figured I should finish this story when I get new info.

I've been working with our insurance company (turns out we were both customers of the same insurer) to help them gather information and determine liability. After speaking with the witnesses, they ruled the accident 100% in my favor. That felt good. It felt good not just to know that there would be some remuneration for my bike, but that I hadn't really done anything wrong! I've always been my toughest critic to satisfy and I was being hard on myself and beating up my memory to see if there was some mistake or error I committed at the time of the accident. The witnesses said that the woman who hit me had been driving erratically and then "ran me over". There was little I could do to avoid it.

It gets better though. The claims agent in Las Vegas (where she heading) let me in on some other interesting information. After the accident with me, she called the ins co and got some money to have her truck towed and radiator repaired. When she arrived in Las Vegas, he was going to assess the vehicle for other damages and then make a payment. She never got there. Apparently she drove her truck off the road somewhere in Canada and completely totaled it. Really makes you wonder what was going through this lady's mind. Anxiety, stupidity or drugs? I don't know and probably never will, but it makes for an interesting story and it makes me feel even better about my accident with her. Seems like she was going to hit somebody. Just turns out that somebody was me.