Friday, June 17, 2005

Fairbanks

Tonight I'm in Fairbanks. I was xchased out of Denali National Parl by the mosquitos. They are just too damn annoying. I sprayed myself with enough DEET to qualify as a Superfund cleanup site and they would still find spots I had missed or just bite me straight through my clothes. Ugh.

On the bright side, I finished reading Into the Wild which was fitting considering the kid the book is about died about 40 miles NE from where I was in the park.

Tomorrow I'm heading for the Arctic Circle. On the ride there you can see the Trans Alaskan pipeline so I'll check that out too

When I find a computer I'll post my Denali pictures. I got some really good ones on a cloudless day. That mountain is breathtakingly massive. At 50 miles around the base, it's the widest mountain. Also, it rises around 18000 ft which gives it much higher vertical elevation than Everest. I'm glad to have seen it. Next time, I'll have to climb it! :)
Brian