Friday, June 24, 2005

Thoughts After Accident Part II

Here's some more stuff I wrote while waiting for a ride in Haines Junction, Yukon:

When I spoke with my mother from the payphone in Destruction Bay, I could tell she was rightfully upset. I said I was sorry because I genuinely feel bad for causing her stress. In reply she said that she's sorry my trip had to end this way. Of course my health comes first, but now that that seems fine I start to think about other consequences of the accident. First in my mind is money and insurance. I'm pissed that I had to buy an 800 dollar plane ticket home and I hope her insurance will pay for all this. Next, just like my mom said, I'm sad my trip ended so abruptly and in such a horrible fashion. I had a route planned with places to see and friends to visit that I haven't seen in at least a year. I was looking forward to spending time with them before I go to school. Now I'm going right back where I came from and canceling the rest of my trip. I'm thinking about driving my car up to Colorado when I get back but I'm not sure.

I'm sad and at times I feel like I'm going to tear up but I remind myself that it could have been much worse. What a wonderful psychological reflex! You can ALWAYS think of something worse that could have happened and instantly feel better. Its like an adult pacifier. Of course you can also think of plenty of ways it could be better but what good would that do you! :-)

I'm still impressed with how nice everyone has been to me. Bob, Deb, Grace, Sharon, Tickie, Kevin, Amber...I love them because they took the time to not be so goddamn selfish and help. They are everyday heros as far as I'm concerned. I can only hope that I have the same good will and instincts inside of me when someone else needs it.